[Users] Importing from KVM

Alex Drahon adrahon at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 10:13:38 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I'm trying to import VMs from a Centos5/KVM host to ovirt using virt-v2v. I
used this command:
virt-v2v -ic qemu+ssh://root@virthost1.mydomain.local/system -o rhev -os
virthost3.mydomain.local:/exports/exp --network ovirtmgmt
test.mydomain.local

It works, but the resulting OVF file cannot be read by ovirt-engine
("Failed to read VM '[Unknown name]' OVF, it may be corrupted").

I had to edit the OVF file, removing the NIC Item worked, but restoring the
imported VM fails. Looking at logs, I found a PostgreSQL constraint
violation on an insert (sorry it's in French)
"Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERREUR: la valeur d une clé
dupliquée rompt la contrainte unique « pk_vm_device »
  Where: instruction SQL « INSERT INTO vm_device( device_id, vm_id , device
, type, address , boot_order , spec_params, is_managed, is_plugged,
is_readonly) VALUES(  $1  ,  $2  ,  $3  ,  $4  ,  $5  ,  $6  ,  $7 ,  $8 ,
$9 ,  $10 ) »"

Looks like there's a primary key violation (duplicate) on insert.

I have two questions:
 - what's the minimal OVF file that can successfully import a VM?
 - are 'default devices' created if they are not in the OVF file? (would
explain PK violations)

oVirt is very impressive and stable, deploying was a breeze, but it"s
difficult to understand why it is so hard to move VMs from a libvirt/KVM
host (which is basically the same architecture). Am I missing something?

Thanks

Alex Drahon