[Users] Questions about oVirt and possible API bug

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Wed Apr 4 11:31:32 UTC 2012

On 04/04/2012 05:15 AM, Andrey Falko wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> One of the requirements behind the system that I am attempting to build
> is that there should be no local storage.

i didn't understand if you don't want to use local storage but trying to
use it?

 >  I’ve noticed that I cannot add
> local storage hosts to the same datacenter and cluster. It seems awkward
> to have a 1:1:1 ratio of datacenter to cluster to host. Is there
> anything that I am missing or is there a reason for why this is the
> design in ovirt?

yes, you need a 1:1:1 for now. plan is to remove this need in the future
by allowing to associate a storage domain with a cluster or host
directly rather than only at DC level.

> I plan to use the system to provide a service where end-users will make
> API calls to create and delete VMs. It will be critical that
> oVirt-engine not be a single-point of failure. I can’t seem to find much
> information about whether oVirt-engine is designed with redundancy in
> mind. Is oVirt capable of a failover or an active-active configuration?

if engine is down, VMs can still continue to run.
for making engine HA, best approach right now is to use clustering
technologies.

> Finally, I am attempting to automate registration of hosts to oVirt and
> am hitting this when I try to add a local storage domain:

I saw you solved this - but worth mentioning for ovirt-node, it has auto
registration to engine flow.