[Users] [Spice-devel] Problems accessing console display.

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Tue Apr 10 21:01:41 UTC 2012

----- Mensaje original -----
> On 04/10/2012 05:57 PM, Rahul Upadhyaya wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> >     I wasn't able to access the console via the Admin portal. As I
> >     learnt there is a requirement of Spice-xpi plugin. I could not
> >     find
> >     the plugin for firefox/chrome on windows/ubuntu. However, when
> >     tried from firefox on a fedora machine after running a /yum
> >     install
> >     spice-xpi/ , I get the console started for like 5 secs and then
> >     it
> >     disappears.
> >

> >   So, did anyone of you face similar problems ? were you able to
> >   resolve ?
>
> need spice logs usually for this type of error.

Currently it logs to syslog. But I am going to submit a patch to not log at all by default

So spice-xpi-client will look like:

if [ x"$SPICE_XPI_CLIENT_LOG" != x ] ; then
    exec 2>&1
    exec >> "$SPICE_XPI_CLIENT_LOG"
fi

echo "starting remote-viewer --spice-controller $@..."
env | grep -i spice
exec remote-viewer --spice-controller "$@"
echo "remote-viewer execution failed"

Ie, if SPICE_XPI_CLIENT_LOG is defined, we log there.

If people want to log to ~/.spicec/whatever.log, they can setup their enviroment to do so. I would still continue to discourage this practice, and rely on default desktop logging behaviour, which is (sadly atm) ~/.xsession-errors.