[Users] can't add hosts with latest ovirt nightly (3.2)

Cristian Falcas cristi.falcas at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 20:25:07 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 8:05 PM, Douglas Landgraf <dougsland at redhat.com>wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>

> On 12/05/2012 09:54 AM, Cristian Falcas wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The latest otopi installer is failing with the following error:
>>
>> virtualization support AuthenticAMD (cpu: True, bios: False)
>> and
>> RuntimeError: Hardware does not support virtualization
>>
>> Running rdmsr also says that virtualization is not enabled in bios:
>> ./rdmsr --bitfield 4:4 0xc0010114
>> 0
>>
>> Is the bios flag mandatory for virtualization? On the same machine
>> virt-manager works and can start virtual machines.
>>
>>  oVirt is based on KVM which requires full virtualization (bios flag
> enabled).
> In your case, looks like virt-manager is using pure qemu to emulate.
>

>  I can't check now what is in bios, but I will update with the status when
>> I have a chance to check.
>>
>>  Sure.
>

> --
> Cheers
> Douglas

I checked and I had virtualization enabled in bios.

Also, I was mistaken and the result from rdmsr means bios is ok: result is
supposed to be 0 (based on kvm-ok script).

I did the test with and without virtualization enabled in bios and I got
this:
- enabled = 00000100
- disabled= 00011000

>From internet: Bit 4 of MSR 0xc0010114 returns 0 means virtualization
enabled

Based on this, I think that the check in
/usr/share/ovirt-host-deploy/plugins/ovirt-host-deploy/vdsm/hardware.py it
should not be != 0, but:
def _svm_enabled_by_bios(self):
    (vm_cr & (1 << SVM_VM_CR_SVM_DISABLE)) == 0

I think the above means (8 & (1 << 4)) which is 0?

Best regards,