[Users] Auto-start vms on boot?

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Sun Dec 9 17:21:47 UTC 2012

On 12/09/2012 05:11 PM, Alexandre Santos wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm not involved on the ovirt development, but here are my thoughts:
> 1. oVirt makes sense on a datacenter scenario, where there is always a
> HA management server that takes care of everything, including the
> management of all VMs state.
> 2. If you want such a tight relation between the host and the VMs
> running on it, you don't need oVirt, just "plain" host virtualization,
> like the one that comes on every linux distro with virt-manager.There
> you can install and manage the VMs on a single host, forcing them to
> stop or start on host shutdown or boot.

the 'tight' relation in the use case i mentioned is only for some of the
VMs which serve a specific purpose on each host (say, an IDS virtual
appliance for all traffic on a specific host).
the rest of the VMs would be 'normal'.

> 3. This is what I've been doing myself. Virt-manager can manage all
> hosts running kvm/qemu but don't have this datacenter approach, where
> you store your VMs on a SAN/iSCSI and you run you VMs on diskless hosts
> and can migrate them as you which, for instance.
>
> If the oVirt developers think that i?m missing something or that I'm
> wrong, please come and correct me :-)

I'm just trying to understand your use case to see how it can be resolved.
(btw, you can probably easily script this via the api/sdk/cli with a
small script checking a list of VMs are always up. I just wonder how
you'll know they aren't meant to be down by admin)
would the admin have to disable the 'auto start' config before shutting
down the VM, or else the engine will auto-start it again?