[Users] .ova image file

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Mon Dec 10 11:36:06 UTC 2012

On 10/12/12 11:26, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 12/10/2012 01:21 PM, Matthew Booth wrote:
>> On 07/12/12 23:22, Jonathan Horne wrote:
>>> Is there a way to convert a .ova image file into ovirt?
>>
>> We just added support for this to upstream virt-v2v, although it
>> requires a very recent qemu to work. F17 isn't new enough. I haven't
>> tested F18 qemu yet, but hopefully it'll be good there.
>>

> Thanks Matt,
> can you share any details on the differences from ovf in behavior?
> (and i was wondering why a newer kvm is needed?)

We can only output to oVirt's OVF, and we can only import from VMware's
OVA. The command line looks something like:

# virt-v2v -i ova --profile ovirt foo.ova

It needs a new qemu for the latest vmdk driver in order to do the
on-disk format conversion. The vmdk driver has been around for a while,
but it's only just become usable. This has long been the barrier to
implementing this feature.

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490