[Users] theoretical scenario

Jonathan Horne jhorne at skopos.us
Tue Dec 11 19:47:06 UTC 2012

ok, so the process seems pretty obtuse, so let me run this by the list here and maybe I'm just not doing it the best way.

1) i connected an export domain called EXPORTNFS.  the nfs share is physically on my management server (as is iso)
2) exported 1 VM.
3) on the mgmt server, i run "tar zxcf /root/test.tgz /opt/export/[UUID]/images /opt/export/[UUID]/master"
4) for good measure, i use ovirt web gui to delete the exported VM from the export
5) run the command 'engine-image-uploader –u admin at internal upload test.tgz –v –e EXPORTNFS
6) after a while, it completes and i see the VM back in the export storage tab under VM Import.

i didn't run the vm yet, but I'm assuming thats a successful export and import.

so, it seems if i wanted to export each and every VM from one separate ovirt to another, i would export each VM, tar-gzip it, clear it from the webgui, and start the next one?   IE.. i mean it looks like engine-image-uploader would be pretty unhappy with finding more than one set of VM UUIDs inside?

is this the way it should be done, or am i doing it the hard way?

thanks!
jonathan