[Users] What's going on with images on the wiki

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Thu Dec 13 10:29:53 UTC 2012

Hi Karsten,

I followed your lead for the "Widgets" extension - I created the
directory wiki/data/widgets, and symlinked
wiki/php/extensions/Widgets/compiled_templates to point to
../../../data/widgets

Would it be possible to do the same fix as you did for images to this,
please? It should point to ../../../../data/widgets (and that directory
should exist, and contain existing compiled templates).

Thanks!
Dave.

On 12/13/2012 02:16 AM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> == Summary ==
>
> Since the migration to OpenShift, due to a misconfiguration of
> MediaWiki, we were writing images uploaded to the wiki to a
> non-persistent data store location.
>
> This means that most images uploaded since the migration may have been
> destroyed, including archives of past versions of images.
>
> == What's next ==
>
> Jason Brooks and I diagnosed the problem and fixed it last night. We
> didn't completely figure out which images were removed, but it's likely
> to be most or all the images since the migration.
>
> For any images you still have -- possibly including older version of the
> images -- we can likely reinsert them in to their (new) location in the
> filesystem and MediaWiki will pick them up. (Older versions are stored
> in 'images/archives/'. Depending on the trickiness of the problem, we
> may be able to reinsert the archived images.)
>
> Email me with details of what images you have, page names, and so forth.
> I'll work to get each one back where it belongs. Feel free to file a
> ticket on Trac at http://fedorahosted.org/ovirt to help keep track of
> the details. Or you can reply with details (but not images)
>
> If you've lost any work as a result of this mistake, please accept my
> apology. It was a mistake that didn't show itself in testing
> post-migration (which points to failings in the testing.)
>
> == Questions and comments ==
>
> It's possible we haven't optimized our solution from here. Feel free to
> chime in with your thoughts and questions. (Please read the 'Details'
> section below first.)
>
> == Details ==
>
> When I configured the MediaWiki instance on OpenShift, I made the
> writeable 'images' directory a symlink to  what I thought was the
> persistent data store location. This appears as 'wiki/data', where the
> MediaWiki code and content live in 'wiki/php'.
>
> cd wiki
> ls -hal | grep images
>   images => ../data
>
> That is, 'wiki/php/images' was a symlink to 'wiki/data'.
>
> (Un)fortunately, 'wiki' is all entirely in a git repository. That means
> I copied the images from the old MediaWiki instance in to a git
> repository that OpenShift uses to completely rewrite the folder
> structure on the server every time the code is checked in ('git push'.)
>
> As it happens, the true persistent data store is '../../data', that is,
> one directory *above* the 'wiki' directory. When you put content in
> there, it is not overwritten with each 'git push'.
>
> What happened this week was I did an outage window on Monday to push a
> change to the app to make it hot deployable. (I actually did the same
> thing last week, but I don't know if anyone had uploaded any new images.)
>
> When I did a 'git push' of my changes, I apparently overwrote the
> 'wiki/data/' directory with my older copy of the content. I did a 'git
> pull' before pushing but nothing came down; I'm not sure why but I
> [...]

Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13