[Users] Setting UUID

Nathan Stratton nathan at robotics.net
Sat Feb 18 18:13:40 UTC 2012

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012, Itamar Heim wrote:

> On 02/18/2012 12:40 AM, Nathan Stratton wrote:
>>
>> Is there anyway to set a specific UUID for a VM?
>
> no.
> may i ask why?

Many times when we move or copy a guest we need to keep the same UUID. As
an example we have a VM that is running Centos 4 that we need upgraded to
Centos 6.2. How we have done this in the past:

Build new VM
Install fresh Centos 6.2
Copy over the application
Shutdown the first VM
Shutdown the 2nd VM and change UUID to match first
Fire up 2nd VM if everything works kill delete 1st VM

We run into all sorts of other situations when we make copies as backups
and need to go to one of the backups. We never need to run a two VMs with
the same UUID, but often have a box where we need to change the UUID to
match what an old box was using.

><>
Nathan Stratton                                CTO, BlinkMind, Inc.
nathan at robotics.net                         nathan at blinkmind.com
http://www.robotics.net                        http://www.blinkmind.com