[Users] Setting UUID

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Sun Feb 19 07:25:49 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012, Itamar Heim wrote:
>
> > On 02/18/2012 12:40 AM, Nathan Stratton wrote:
> >>
> >> Is there anyway to set a specific UUID for a VM?
> >
> > no.
> > may i ask why?
>
> Many times when we move or copy a guest we need to keep the same
> UUID. As
> an example we have a VM that is running Centos 4 that we need
> upgraded to
> Centos 6.2. How we have done this in the past:
>
> Build new VM
> Install fresh Centos 6.2
> Copy over the application
> Shutdown the first VM
> Shutdown the 2nd VM and change UUID to match first
> Fire up 2nd VM if everything works kill delete 1st VM

What you want is the ability to copy the VM configuration, not to change the UUID.
The point of a UUID is that it is a Universally Unique ID, hence there should be only 1 such in the universe.
Instead of suggesting a solution, it is better to explain the problem.
Having the ability to clone the configuration of a VM would be a lot more useful (e.g. it can be done multiple times and wouldn't be limited to a single VM).