[Users] Q on ovirt datacentre and host storage types

Deepak C Shetty deepakcs at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Feb 29 11:42:15 UTC 2012

Hi, got few basic Qs in my mind. Appreciate a response.

1) Why is it that the data domains must be of the same type as that of
datacentre ? What is the goal behind having
this constraint ? It seems useful to have a datacentre w/o having any
storage restrictions.. i should be able to add
hosts w/o worrying abt the storage types... why is it not so... looking
to understand the reason behind this design
decision.

2) If i have a set of host systems all connected to shared FC storage,
is there a way for me to configure LUNs
exclusively for each host, meaning have ability to control what LUN each
hosts sees ? Can this be done using oVirt today ? My understanding is
that this cannot be done via ovirt, zoning of LUNs to host has to be
done separately and not via ovirt, is that correct ?

3) If i have to create and run 1000 VMs (say), how can i automate that
using ovirt, what is the best way to do that ?

thanx,
deepak