[Users] Q on ovirt datacentre and host storage types

Oved Ourfalli ovedo at redhat.com
Wed Feb 29 13:37:34 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

If I understood you correctly that is indeed not part of ovirt.
You can put different LUNs in different data centers, but that won't mean a host in a cluster in one DC won't have access to a LUN defined on another DC (it won't have this access through ovirt, but this access will still be available if it was allowed in the storage controller management).

All the hosts in clusters of a specific data center need access to all its storage domains.
So you'd probably want to allow not only a host but a set of hosts, to access the LUN which the storage domains resides on.
Same for NFS exports.

> > 3) If i have to create and run 1000 VMs (say), how can i automate
> > that using
> > ovirt, what is the best way to do that ?

Depends on the scenario. If you are talking about stateless VMs, based on a template, you can use VM Pools.
We are also working on supporting pre-started VMs (see feature page in http://ovirt.org/wiki/Features/PrestartedVm), that will enable you to set a number on that VM pool which says how many VMs you would like to be up from the pool (I think the feature is already pushed, but not sure about that).

If you want them to be separate, then IMO the best way to do so is to use the either the ovirt-CLI or the ovirt-SDK (again, depends on the exact scenario). Using it you can create VMs, run them, stop them and etc....

Details on that can be found in:
www.ovirt.org/wiki/CLI
www.ovirt.org/wiki/SDK

Hope it helps,