[Users] test day: using VM has host for vdsm

Haim Ateya hateya at redhat.com
Wed Jan 18 13:13:58 UTC 2012

On Wed 18 Jan 2012 03:10:58 PM IST, Ryan Harper wrote:
> * Juan Hernandez<juan.hernandez at redhat.com>  [2012-01-18 07:09]:
>> On 01/18/2012 01:59 PM, Ryan Harper wrote:
>>> I've created some f16 VMs that contain both ovirt-engine and a few
>>> to run vdsm as nodes.  When I add in the VM host into the engine and it
>>> attempts to install vdsm (even though I've already installed vdsm) the
>>> install fails because the vdsm install script is checking to see if the
>>> host has virt capabilities; since I'm not running nested KVM, this
>>> fails.  Is there a way to work around this can enable a VM to be a host
>>> in oVirt?  I had heard in the past there was a way to create fake VMs
>>> when attempting to do ovirt-engine stress testing, wondering if that
>>> might be of help here.
>>
>> I think you need to add "fake_kvm_support = true" to "/etc/vdsm/vdsm.conf".
>
> Excellent.
>
> Now, any way to prevent ovirt-engine from attempting to install vdsm
> when you add a new host?  I've already got vdsm running in the VMs I'm
> pointing ovirt-engine at...

Hi Rayn,
- login to your ovirt-engine machine
- edit
/usr/share/ovirt-engine/engine.ear/components.war/vds/vds_bootstrap.py
- comment out the following:
   836     if not oDeploy.virtExplorer(random_num):
   837         logging.error('virtExplorer test failed')
   838         return False
- reinstall host - add fake_kvm_support = True to your vdsm.conf under
/etc/vdsm/vdsm.conf
- restart vdsmd service