[Users] test day: using VM has host for vdsm

Moran Goldboim mgoldboi at redhat.com
Wed Jan 18 21:35:24 UTC 2012

On 01/18/2012 11:13 PM, Ryan Harper wrote:
> * Itamar Heim<iheim at redhat.com>  [2012-01-18 13:46]:
>> On 01/18/2012 07:26 PM, Ryan Harper wrote:
>>> * Ryan Harper<ryanh at us.ibm.com>   [2012-01-18 06:59]:
>>> Now that I have one VM as a host in the UP state in ovirt-engine, let me
>>> capture what I needed to get that to work:
>>>

>>> On my F16-node, since I was following the test day instructions which
>>> asked to install vdsm/vdsm-cli and this is already done by ovirt-engine
>>> bootstrap.
>>>
>>> 1) uninstall vdsm and vdsm-cli
>>>      - ovirt-engine will push down a vdsm package during the bootstrap
>>>      process
>>>
>>> 2) disable selinux
>>>      - edit /etc/sysconfig/selinux and set SELINUX=disabled
>>>      - reboot
>>>
>>> 3) ensure ssl=false and fake_kvm_support=true in /etc/vdsm/vdsm.conf
>>>
>>> 4) restart vdsmd
>>>

>>> On the ovirt-engine instanes
>>>
>>> # we have a gateway in the way so we're using ssh tunneling to access
>>> # the ovirt-engine VM instance
>>>
>>> 1) re-install ovirt-engine and don't use localhost as the hostname since
>>> this value is passed to the host you install vdsm on and it will fail to
>>> push the bootstrap script down.  This means that after you setup your
>>> tunnel, to get to the admin interface, you need to manually enter:
>>>
>>>      http://localhost:8080/webadmin
>>>
>>> 2) edit
>>> /usr/share/ovirt-engine/engine.ear/components.war/vds/vds_bootstrap.py
>>> and comment out lines 836->839, like this.
>>>
>>> #    if not oDeploy.virtExplorer(random_num):
>>> #        logging.error('virtExplorer test failed')
>>> #        return False
>>>
>>> 3) some misc stuff (not sure if it is needed, but looks harmless enough)
>>>
>>>     mkdir  /var/lock/ovirt-engine/
>>>     chown  jboss-as:jboss-as -R /var/lock/ovirt-engine
>>>     restorecon -Fvv  /var/lock/ovirt-engine
>>>
>>> 4) update jboss configuration to not use ssl
>>>
>>> psql -U postgres engine -c "update vdc_options set option_value='false'
>>> where
>>> +option_name='UseSecureConnectionWithServers' and version='general';"
>>>
>>> 5) restart jboss
>>>
>>> service restart jboss-as

>> you can set InstallVds to false in engine config, which will only add
> what does this command look like?  I plan to update the installing vdsm
> wiki page.

Itamar, i think this value is missing on engine-config - will look into
it tomorrow:
engine-config -l | grep -i install
oVirtISOsRepositoryPath: "The RHEV-H installation files path" (Value
Type: String)
VdcBootStrapUrl: "Host Installation Bootstrap Script URL" (Value Type:
String)

Ryan, you can change it on DB:
UPDATE vdc_options SET option_value = false where option_name =
'InstallVds';

Moran.