[Users] Setting up test nodes

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Wed Jul 4 09:45:52 UTC 2012

On 07/04/2012 10:46 AM, Doron Fediuck wrote:
> On 03/07/12 21:27, Itamar Heim wrote:
>> On 07/03/2012 03:48 PM, Martin Kletzander wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> TL;DR: how do I setup a software node (faqemu) with apps from source?
>>
>> - do you wnat to setup an ovirt-node, or just install vdsm on plain fedora 17?
>> sounds like the latter, but if you want to use fake-qemu, ovirt-node is much harder than just using a fedora 17.

Frankly, I don't see the difference in there that much. The basic point
in this is -- have a visible node in ovirt-engine on which I can
experiment with (mainly) libvirt.

At first I though I need to have the 'ovirt-node' package installed but
it doesn't seem it's needed now. I searched through the documentation
but I haven't found a lot related to this particular use case.

>>> I'm new to the oVirt world and coming from the lower layer, I must admin
>>> I feel kind of confused.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to create a "lab" with ovirt-engine (up and running), some
>>> ovirt-node (with sw qemu) and ovirt-node with all the stack running on
>>> git sources (qemu, libvirt, vdsm and ovirt-node). The problem is that I
>>> only tried this before with ovirt-node ISO image and I don't know how
>>> can I step in there and work with the system underneath.
>>>
>>> The whole point of this is to help speed up problem-solving in the
>>> future for problems related to mostly libvirt. Having this available
>>> should help us a lot.
>>>
>>> My main question is: What is the proper way to setup a node from
>>> standard fedora installation (not ISO) and having software-emulated qemu
>>> machine there?
>>

>> for using plain fedora 17 as a guest, you just need to:
>> option 1:
>> - yum install vdsm vdsdsm-hook-faqemu
>> - vi /etc/vdsm/vdsm.conf and set vars.fake_kvm_support=True
>> - now simply add the host from web admin (hosts-->add host)
>> note: you may need this patch if not in your version of vdsm already:
>> http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/5611/

I'll try this after resolving few other errors unrelated to oVirt. I
though there is some more complicated way through swamps and dragon lair
=) Thanks for showing me the right way!

>> option 2: if your host is fedora 16 and above, just use nested virtualization, and your virtual host would behave like a normal one (i still need to try this one out)
>> i.e., just add the virtual host from web admin (hosts-->add host)

I wouldn't want to try that, kvm is still not that stable, people say
the guests get stuck after some time and I don't really need anything
running in these machines.

In case you'll try that, good luck.

>> I assume another step would be needed here (at least configuring the guest in libvirt to have nested virtualization), but i haven't tried this one yet to know what it is.
>>

> Once successful, it would be great if you could document your process
> in oVirt's wiki, sharing your experience with other users ;)

I'll try to summarize that in case I'll succeed, but now everything
seems very new to me (I mean I don't even know where to click in the
engine's administration portal).