[Users] Wondering about updating ovirt from 3.0 to 3.1

Jason Brooks jbrooks at redhat.com
Tue Jul 24 22:50:24 UTC 2012

>>> What's the most sane upgrade advice we can offer to oVirt 3.0
>>> users?
>>>
>>> Jason
>>
>> the "sane" upgrade path (nothing is sane in Fedora 16 to Fedora 17
>> upgrade):
>> 1. run engine-cleanup, do not drop DB
>> 2. remove all ovirt-engine rpms (including the JBoss one)
>>    - please not that this will remove the PKI, so you'll have to
>>    re-install your hosts
>> 3. Do the fedora upgrade
>> 4. install ovirt-engine rpms
>> 5. run engine-setup
>>    - Give same passwords to the DB/admin user
>>
>> in this case, engine-setup should upgrade the db, and not install it.
>> we didn't tried this approach yet, so I'll appreciate any input.
>
> Can someone please try this out and verify it works? I'd like to include this process in the release notes.

I've been testing this path today. I get all the way to step 5, running
engine-setup, and the script fails out after asking for my existing db
password. The script asks for my password, over and over (I tried
entering it like 25 times) and keeps on asking until I hit enter with a
blank password a couple of times, at which point it fails out.

Jason