[Users] VM Creation

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Fri Mar 30 07:28:23 EDT 2012

On 03/29/2012 11:56 PM, Schoenbrun, Dustin wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I was wondering if someone could point me in the proper direction in the
> code where VMs are created within the oVirt Engine. Any help that I can
> get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

if you mean creating the VM at configuration level: AddVm.
it has a few variants:
1. from template - will create the VM and clone/cow the disks
2. from scratch/blank template - will create the VM, and you will need
to later add/attach the disks manually.
3. from an existing snapshot (will collapse layers iirc)

(you can also import a VM)

to run the VM: RunVm

relevant code classes in engine under this path:
./backend/manager/modules/bll/src/main/java/org/ovirt/engine/core

/bll/AddVmFromTemplateCommand.java
/bll/AddVmFromSnapshotCommand.java
/bll/AddVmTemplateInterfaceCommand.java
/bll/AddVmFromScratchCommand.java

for creating and attaching a disk to a VM
bll/AddDiskToVmCommand.java