[Users] Virtual Disk creation - really slow (config issue?) e.g 20GB disk created in 23 mins - NFS server/Gigabit switch - can anyone suggest why speed is so slow ? (at this rate it would take 1hr 40 mins to create a 100GB disk...)

Morgan Cox morgancoxuk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 16:59:15 UTC 2012

Hi.

After my many issues with spice I have finally sorted them out.

Now I am having an issue with the speed of virtual disk creation - when I
go to create a virtual disk it takes a long time (far to long to be usable)

My setup is as following

3 servers:-

1 Frontend (ovirt engine) - Fedora 16    - external + local IP
(91.215.xxx.xx + 10.0.0.10)
1 Ovirt node (using the node .iso)   - external + local IP (ovirtmgmt
(eth0) - 91.215.xxx.xxx  and LAN (eth1) - 10.0.0.101)
1 NFS storage - external + local IP - I attached the storage using the
Local IP (10.0.0.190)

All servers are connected via a Gigabit switch (so speed should be better)

I can scp between servers far faster - I'm almost sure its due to the
node ovirtmgmt
address being an external (internet ip) and not LAN ip. - therefore the
traffic is not just going over the gigabit switch but via the core router
in the DC...

Can anyone suggest how I can 'debug' where the slowness is coming from

On my NFS server I have it setup like (in /etc/exports)

/storage1       *(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)

I had previous tried setting up the node on a LAN IP previously and it
caused spice to not work - as the node had no internet access / DNS - I
also tried making the frontend server a gateway (and using -  iptables -t
nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE ) - this also cause spice to not work (as
it always tried to connect to the 10.0.0.x address from my desktop - and
fail..)

Any hints/help will be welcomed

Cheers