[Users] Shut down a host node through web UI?

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Wed May 9 03:43:17 UTC 2012

On 09/05/2012, at 7:01 AM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 05/08/2012 07:09 PM, Justin Clift wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Successfully set up a basic initial oVirt installation (Engine + 1 x host node running 2.3.0-1.fc16 stable).
>> No storage nor VM's configured yet.
>>
>> The host has been activated fine through the Engine web UI.
>>
>> Now looking how gracefully shut down the node through the web UI.
>>
>> There's nothing obvious for this (i.e. "shut down" option) showing up in the web UI for me. (admin user)
>>
>> What should I be looking for in the UI, to shut down hosts gracefully?
>>
>> Note - putting the host in maintenance mode and bringing it back out again goes fine, so I don't *think*
>> it's a config problem.
>
> well, engine only needs to shutdown hosts today if they need fencing.
> (to fence, you need another host in the DC to do the actual fencing).

Heh.  The other use case for shutting down hosts (relevant to me) is for when they're not on 24/7.

My dev environment here for example. ;)

> not to mention, fencing isn't graceful…

I have a wti switch here that could be used to set up fencing.  But, I don't really have the time/inclination
to get into the high-availability side of things with oVirt at this stage.  (Only going for basic, initial, hands on
familiarity).

> i think the fencing menu could benefit from a '(graceful) shutdown' option if someone would sent patches to that effect

Not sure the fencing menu is the right place.  For non 24x7 environments, it'd be a common (daily) admin task.  For that kind
of thing, a menu option in the vicinity of the maintenance/activate menu would be about right wouldn't it?

Should I file an RFE in BZ?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--