[Users] Networking in Ovirt 3.1

Roy Golan rgolan at redhat.com
Wed May 16 08:42:33 UTC 2012

On 05/15/2012 09:48 PM, Sigurður Björnsson wrote:
> Good afternoon.
>
> My name is Sigurdur Bjornsson and I'm a systems administrator at
> Nyherji in Iceland.
> Let me begin by apologising for contacting you directly. I'm just not
> sure which mailing list
> I should use for my question and your name popped up around the Ovirt
> network features design.
>
> I have been playing around with Ovirt 3.0 / RHEV 3.0 and there are two
> things that are showstoppers
> in my opinion. The first one is the fact that it's not possible to
> expand/grow virtual disks, just add new ones.
>
> My second problem is that in our environment the IBM HS22V blade
> server is the preferred virtualization
> platform. These servers have two network interfaces and I'm unable to
> configure them in a redundant way.
> What I would like to do is to bond those interfaces together and put
> both the rhev management network
> and my other VLANs on the same bond. It seems to me that the
> management network cannot coexist
> with other networks on the same adapter. (Or not a bond at least).
>
> eth0 --                  -- rhevm (tagged)
>           |-- bond0 --|-- VLANX
> eth1 --                  -- VLANY
>
> Do you know if these problems are solved in Ovirt 3.1?
> In case they are still present in 3.1, where could I create a request
> for enhancement?
> I can't wait for the day when we can put RHEV in production... :o)
>
> With thanks in advance,
>
> Kær kveðja / Best Regards,
> Sigurður Björnsson
> Kerfisstjóri / Systems Administrator
> RHCA, RHCE #804005208515565
> siggib at nyherji.is - TF3SIG
>
> Nýherji hf.
> Borgartún 37, IS-105 Reykjavík, Iceland
> Tel: (+354) 569 7700
> www.nyherji.is
>
> 20 ára <http://www.nyherji.is>

Hi Sigurður

Thanks for dropping me that mail. about your issues:

1. Dynamically changing the disk size you requested is not supported,
however you can chose to create your disk
as "thin provisioning" with a size bigger than what you currently need,
say 80Gb. The amount of space that will be used is only 1Gb and it'll
grow with your usage.

2. you network scenario is correct and we addressed just that in 3.1 and
its called "setup networks"
http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/Design/Network .
you can get it working with the latest ovirt builds.

For further help - ovirt is an open source project and as one we run
mailing lists for users,contributers, developers to have their questions
and discussions. all getting attention.
Also we have a chat room where you can get immediate (almost :) )
response. all the details here - http://www.ovirt.org/project/community/

Hope this helps,
Roy