[Users] Adding a VLAN tagged network

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Thu May 17 12:52:57 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've got a development oVirt system with four machines, one NFS storage,
one engine, and two oVirt Node hosting boxes. All the machines have an
ethernet interface with an IP on the 'real' network/subnet that they
live on, and there's a private network linking second ethernet ports on
the nodes and the NFS box that all the storage traffic goes over.

I can run guests with IP addresses on the same 'real' network as the
hosts, but now I want to add a second VLAN tagged network, but using the
same physical interfaces, i.e. so that untagged packets on eth7 go to
the ovirtmgmt network (as they do now) and tagged ones go to a new oVirt
logical network. I can create the logical network through the web
interface, but when I try to assign it to a node's ethernet interface it
configures the VLAN interface correctly and creates the new bridge for
the logical network, but it also removes the ovirtmgmt network from the
untagged version of the interface with predictably bad results (this has
mostly been diagnosed via a shell on the local console).

Is there any way to make this work, or do I need to isolate the
ovirtmgmt network onto a physically separate port, rather than just by
means of VLAN?

Ewan