[Users] glusterfs and ovirt

Deepak C Shetty deepakcs at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri May 18 13:28:12 UTC 2012

On 05/17/2012 11:05 PM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 05/17/2012 06:55 PM, Bharata B Rao wrote:

>>> current status is
>>> 1. patches for provisioning gluster clusters and volumes via ovirt
>>> are in
>>> review, trying to cover this feature set [1].
>>> I'm not sure if all of them will make the ovirt 3.1 version which is
>>> slated
>>> to branch for stabilization June 1st, but i think "enough" is there.
>>> so i'd start trying current upstream version to help find issues
>>> blocking
>>> you, and following on them during june as we stabilize ovirt 3.1 for
>>> release
>>> (planned for end of june).
>>>
>>> 2. you should be able to use same hosts for both gluster and virt,
>>> but there
>>> is no special logic/handling for this yet (i.e., trying and providing
>>> feedback would help improve this mode).
>>> I would suggest start from separate clusters though first, and only
>>> later
>>> trying the joint mode.
>>>
>>> 3. creating a storage domain on top of gluster:
>>> - expose NFS on top of it, and consume as a normal nfs storage domain
>>> - use posixfs storage domain with gluster mount semantics
>>> - future: probably native gluster storage domain, up to native
>>>   integration with qemu
>>
>> I am looking at GlusterFS integration with QEMU which involves adding
>> GlusterFS as block backend in QEMU. This will involve QEMU talking to
>> gluster directly via libglusterfs bypassing FUSE. I could specify a
>> volume file and the VM image directly on QEMU command line to boot
>> from the VM image that resides on a gluster volume.
>>
>> Eg: qemu -drive file=client.vol:/Fedora.img,format=gluster
>>
>> In this example, Fedora.img is being served by gluster and client.vol
>> would have client-side translators specified.
>>
>> I am not sure if this use case would be served if GlusterFS is
>> integrated as posixfs storage domain in VDSM. Posixfs would involve
>> normal FUSE mount and QEMU would be required to work with images from
>> FUSE mount path ?
>>
>> With QEMU supporting GlusterFS backend natively, further optimizations
>> are possible in case of gluster volume being local to the host node.
>> In this case, one could provide QEMU with a simple volume file that
>> would not contain client or server xlators, but instead just the posix
>> xlator. This would lead to most optimal IO path that bypasses RPC
>> calls.
>>
>> So do you think, this use case (QEMU supporting GlusterFS backend
>> natively and using volume file to specify the needed translators)
>> warrants a specialized storage domain type for GlusterFS in VDSM ?
>
> I'm not sure if a special storage domain, or a PosixFS based domain
> with enhanced capabilities.
> Ayal?

Related Question:
     With QEMU using GlusterFS backend natively (as described above), it
also means that
it needs addnl options/parameters as part of qemu command line (as given
above).

How does VDSM today support generating a custom qemu cmdline. I know
VDSM talks to libvirt,
so is there a framework in VDSM to edit/modify the domxml based on some
pre-conditions,
and how / where one should hook up to do that modification ? I know of
libvirt hooks
framework in VDSM, but that was more for temporary/experimental needs,
or am i completely
wrong here ?

Irrespective of whether GlusterFS integrates into VDSM as PosixFS or
special storage domain
it won't address the need to generate a custom qemu cmdline if a
file/image was served by
GlusterFS. Whats the way to address this issue in VDSM ?

I am assuming here that special storage domain (aka repo engine) is only
to manage image
repository, and image related operations, won't help in modifying qemu
cmd line being generated.

[Ccing vdsm-devel also]

thanx,
deepak