[Users] HA and Live Migration FS Recommendations

Neil nwilson123 at gmail.com
Mon May 21 13:02:03 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

I'm very new to oVirt and I have some questions that I can't seem to
find answers for, so please go easy on me.

We are looking at implementing a HA KVM virtualization environment
over two(3 in total at a later stage) physical nodes using oVirt for
about 8 guests using Centos 6.2.

What I am looking at doing is using a fibre channel SAN to implement
shared storage by allowing both physical nodes to see the same LUN on
the SAN so that both physical nodes will have access to a shared
filesystem for storing guest images on.
I've opted for the shared LUN/storage approach to allow for HA and
live migration of guests between the physical nodes.

Do I need to configure GFS2 before oVirt so that both physical nodes
can have access to the same LUN for the guest images; or will oVirt
automatically handle locking/fencing etc. on the common filesystem?

I've tried using luci/ricci to setup a "storage" cluster using GFS2
with oVirt mounting the GFS2 filesystem as a local directory, but this
seems far from ideal.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards.