[Users] Moving Disks to anoter Domain -> Illegal

Maor Lipchuk mlipchuk at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 11:17:17 UTC 2012

Hi Jörn,
If disk was failed to move to a destination storage domain, because VDSM
failed to complete the task successfully , it can be fixed from the DB,
although it might be a bit complicated and risky.

In case no one of the disks are shareable, you need to update the disks
status back to OK, and change the storage domain of its images to the
source storage domain.

For each disk do the following:

1) # Get the disk_id that you want to recover (please make sure there is
only one disk id fetched, since disk_alias is not a unique field)
SELECT disk_id from  images_storage_domain_view where disk_alias =
'Your_Disk_Name' and vm_names = 'Your_Vm_Name'

2)  # Get the source storage domain that you moved the disk from
select id,storage_name from storage_domains where storage_name =
'Your_Source_Storage_Domain';

3) # Update the disk images (which are the image id and it's snapshots)
to the source storage domain:
UPDATE image_storage_domain_map set storage_domain_id = (see 2) where
image_id = (see 1);

or in one update sentence:
UPDATE image_storage_domain_map set storage_domain_id = (select id from
storage_domains where storage_name = 'Your_Source_Storage_Domain') WHERE
image_id in (SELECT image_guid from images_storage_domain_view where
disk_alias = 'Your_Disk_Name' and vm_names = 'Your_Vm_Name'));

4) # update the disk status from ILLEGAL to OK
SELECT imagestatus from images where image_guid = (SELECT image_guid
from  images_storage_domain_view where disk_alias = 'Your_Disk_Name' and
vm_names = 'Your_Vm_Name');
# The result should be 4 (ILLEGAL)

UPDATE images set imagestatus = 1 where image_guid = (SELECT image_guid
from  images_storage_domain_view where disk_alias = 'Your_Disk_Name' and
vm_names = 'Your_Vm_Name');

I would suggest to be very careful with those sql commands (Please use
select before each update, to prevent mistakes), you can also consider
recreate the servers from scratch as an alternative as you suggested.

Regards,
Maor