[Users] About owner of postgres

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Sat Nov 10 19:01:06 UTC 2012

On 11/10/2012 04:49 PM, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi Juan and all,
>
> I follow;
> Building Engine Draft
> http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Building_Engine_Draft
> to install oVirt from source on Fedora 17, 64bit
>

> 1)
> Found following error;
> $ unzip jboss-as-7.1.1.Final.tar.gz
>
> It should read;
> $ unzip jboss-as-7.1.1.Final.zip

Thanks for pointing this out, I just fixed it.

> 2)
> I was stuck here;
>
> # su - postgres -c 'pg_ctl initdb'
> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
> "postgres".
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale en_US.UTF-8.
> The default database encoding has accordingly been set to UTF8.
> The default text search configuration will be set to "english".
>
> initdb: directory "/var/lib/pgsql/data" exists but is not empty
> If you want to create a new database system, either remove or empty
> the directory "/var/lib/pgsql/data" or run initdb
> with an argument other than "/var/lib/pgsql/data".
> pg_ctl: database system initialization failed
>

> I'm not the owner of postgres
>
> What shall I do?

Assuming that you don't have the data of any other application in that
PostgreSQL instance I would remove it completely and then create it
again running the following commands as root:

systemctl stop postgresql.service
rm -rf /var/lib/pgsql
postgresql-setup initdb
systemctl start postgresql.service

That will give you a clean instance of PosrgreSQL that you can use for
the ovirt-engine installation.

Let us know if this helps.

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain