[Users] How to efficiently share templates between datacenters which have local storages?

Adam Tkáč vonsch at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 18:02:06 UTC 2012

Hello,

I use oVirt 3.1.0.

Does anyone have an idea how to efficiently share VM templates between
multiple datacenters which use local storages for VM images? I tried
two methods:

1. Add another cluster to "local storage datacenter" which failed with
oVirt error that this isn't allowed
2. Tried to create new NFS data domain but this isn't possible because
oVirt interface allows me to create only NFS export or NFS ISO domains
(not data domain)

So every time when I would like to use some template in other
datacenter, I have to export it to export domain and then import it in
other datacenter. This isn't optimal way because templates are
duplicated over datacenters. Duplication causes problems - when I want
to update template, I must update it and copy to all datacenters
again. And, of course, duplicated templates consume disk space.

"Non-oVirt" solution, when I manually export part of local storage of
one datacenter with templates via NFS and then mount it in other
datacenters is also ok but I'm not sure if it will work.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Regards, Adam