[Users] I don't know how to add AD users

Yair Zaslavsky yzaslavs at redhat.com
Tue Nov 20 06:36:25 UTC 2012

On 11/20/2012 12:39 AM, Cristian Falcas wrote:

> [...]
>             <mailto:user.name at site.example.com>> -interactive
>

>         You don't add an user this way. You add the domain. You have to
>         pass the
>         domain admin user and the domain admin password.
>

>     any domain user will do, doesn't have to be an admin.
>     what does the log say?
>

>         Then you can use the domain within the engine. e.g. search
>         users, add
>         access rights for vms etc.
>         Even login to the engine and assigning rights within the engine
>         you can
>         handle from the engine itself.
>
>         Regards,
>
>             And the output on all tries:
>             Enter password:
>
>             Error: Authentication Failed. Please verify the fully
>             qualified domain
>             name that is used for authentication is correct..
>             Problematic domain
>             is: domain_used_in_command
>             Failure while applying Kerberos configuration. Details:
>             Authentication
>             Failed. Please verify the fully qualified domain name that
>             is used for
>             authentication is correct.
>
>             Can someone help me with the correct parameters?
>

>             Best regards,
>             Cristian Falcas

>         --
>         Regards,
>
>         Vinzenz Feenstra | Senior Software Engineer
>         RedHat Engineering Virtualization R & D
>         Phone: +420 532 294 625 <tel:%2B420%20532%20294%20625>
>         IRC: vfeenstr or evilissimo
>
>         Better technology. Faster innovation. Powered by community
>         collaboration.
>         See how it works at redhat.com <http://redhat.com>

> Hi,
>
> This is the command I used (the same error is with -interactive parameter):
>
> engine-manage-domains -action=add -domain=example.com
> <http://example.com> -provider=ActiveDirectory -user=user.name at a_domain
> -passwordFile=/tmp/pass
>
> [root at localhost ~]# cat /tmp/pass
> qwerty[root at localhost ~]#
>
> This is the log:
>
> 2012-11-20 00:30:40,443 INFO
> [org.ovirt.engine.core.utils.kerberos.ManageDomains] Creating kerberos
> configuration for domain(s): example.com <http://example.com>
> 2012-11-20 00:30:40,525 INFO
> [org.ovirt.engine.core.utils.kerberos.ManageDomains] Successfully
> created kerberos configuration for domain(s): example.com
> <http://example.com>
> 2012-11-20 00:30:40,526 INFO
> [org.ovirt.engine.core.utils.kerberos.ManageDomains] Testing kerberos
> configuration for domain: example.com <http://example.com>
> 2012-11-20 00:30:40,830 ERROR
> [org.ovirt.engine.core.utils.kerberos.KerberosConfigCheck] Error:
> exception message: Cannot locate KDC
> 2012-11-20 00:30:40,851 ERROR
> [org.ovirt.engine.core.utils.kerberos.ManageDomains] Failure while
> testing domain example.com <http://example.com>. Details: Kerberos
> error. Please check log for further details.

Hi, the error indicates you don't have kerberos configured.
manage-domains validates by default using GSSAPI/Kerberos (if I
understand correctly, this is equivalent to run ldapsearch with -Y
gssapi option).
I wonder if -x (simple authentication) will work for you as well (as
manage-domains contains code for simple authentication as well).