[Users] Recovering VMs when the engine is lost

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Fri Nov 23 13:11:12 UTC 2012

On 11/23/2012 02:58 PM, Joern Ott wrote:
> Hey Itamar,
>
> this is an NFS storage.

we don't currently support importing an existing data storage domain. so
you need to create a new nfs data domain.

i suggest two 'hacky' options after that
1. less hacky - convert the current nfs data domain to an export domain,
and import the VMs from it.
2. more hacky - recreate the VMs on the new nfs data domain with exact
same details, and copy the disk over the newly created disks.

benefit of the other is you may be able to move the data, instead of
full blown copy, while in option 1 (which is much simpler/less error
prone), you need to import all vm's again.

there is current work to detect disks from a storage domain:
http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/Domain_Scan

when it will be ready (and better when import existing storage domain
will be supported), this would be easier.