[Users] How to attach virtualized Gluster cluster?

Kanagaraj kmayilsa at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 04:02:31 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 28 November 2012 01:52 AM, Peter Styk wrote:
> Any chance there is a way to get this to work?
>
>  2 x F16 nodes bare metal
>  engine and gluster 4 node virtualized in vmware esxi
>
> engine ok
> 2x node ok
> gluster stand alone setup ok
>
> problem:
> Can't attach my stand-alone gluster cluster. Since I'm not using
> virtualized gluster bricks to run virtual machines why can't I use it
> as storage only?
>
> intuition takes me here:
> Cluster #1 [Bare_Metal] Enable Ovirt Service [yes] & Enable Gluster
> Service [no]
> [shows Hosts and VMs]
>
> Cluster #2 [Virtualized] Enable Ovirt Service [no] & Enable Gluster
> Service [yes]
> [shows Hosts and Volumes]
> Have tried this several Times as full gluster working setup, empty
> nodes and oVirt agent nodes. No luck.
Did you create any gluster volumes in Cluster #2, are you seeing any
failures there?

If that's succeeded you can use the gluster volume for two purposes

1. Normal Storage
- you can mount the gluster volume from any of nodes(the node could be
any host and need not be part of the gluster cluster).  Should have
gluster client packages installed if you want mount the volume using
gluster native, alternatively you can mount the volume as nfs also.
      mount -t glusterfs HOSTNAME-OR-IPADDRESS:/VOLNAME MOUNTDIR
     here the HOSTNAME could be any one of your gluster nodes.
     Example: mount -t glusterfs server1:/test-volume /mnt/glusterfs

2. Storage for VMs

-When you want to use gluster as a an underlying storage for VM's, you
can't simply have a gluster cluster and use it as it is.  The gluster
volume can be used as an underlying storage for the VMs. Select the
volume you want to use, click on 'Optimize for Virt' to change the brick
permissions on the nodes(kvm:vdsm).

-Make sure you Data Center is PosixFS complaint. Create a new Storage
domain and select the storage type as PosixFS. for 'Use Host' field
select any one of your hypervisor fields, for path
'hostname:/volumename' (hostname-any one of your gluster node), and Vfs
Type - gluster. Now you will see the storage domain is created on top of
a gluster volume. Now you can use this Storage Domain for your VMs.
Don't forget to install gluster client packages in your hypervisor
nodes(Cluster #1), this is needed because the gluster volume will be
mounted in the selected hypervisor node('Use Host').