[Users] SOLVED: Recovering VMs when the engine is lost

Vinzenz Feenstra vfeenstr at redhat.com
Thu Nov 29 11:37:01 UTC 2012

On 11/29/2012 11:52 AM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 11/28/2012 07:36 AM, Joern Ott wrote:
>> Hello Itamar and Ayal,
>>
>> I tried to recover the VMs by using the first method (converting the
>> master into an export domain) but after the changes, I couldn't add
>> the export domain as it was "an incompatible version". Therefore I
>> explored the other way of restoring:
>> - First, I copied the master/vms folder from the master storage to my
>> local host (and renamed al the .ovf to .xml so I can double click
>> them and view them in an xml browser on my stupid Windows)
>> - As we store the ovirt NFS export folder on /data/ovirt, I connected
>> to all nodes and moved the $UUID folder from /data/ovirt to /data/old.
>> - I added all the cpu nodes and NFS storages to the new cluster
>> - I recreated the virtual machines based on the xml files in the
>> specs and our internal vm specifications with exactly the same MAC
>> address (we specify our own) and disk sizes, having the disks
>> residing on the same storages as the old disks
>> - Looking at the xml file of the new VMs I figured out the folders
>> and file names of the new disks and then moved the old disks over:
>> cd /data/ovirt/$UUID/images/$FOLDERUUID
>> mv /data/old/images/$OLDFOLDERUUID/$OLDDISKUUID ./$DISKUUID
>> mv /data/old/images/$OLDFOLDERUUID/$OLDDISKUUID.meta ./$DISKUUID.meta
>> mv /data/old/images/$OLDFOLDERUUID/$OLDDISKUUID.lease ./$DISKUUID.lease
>> - After doing this, the new VM starts nicely using the disks with all
>> the content on them
>>
>> Of course, you can also choose other storages for the new disks, but
>> then you have to rsync -avS the sparse files over to the new storage
>> and this takes hours for 600G disks.
>>
>> Caveats: There were a few machines I actually created from a
>> template. In the XML files for those machines, we had the wrong MAC
>> addresses for the nics. I assume, that these were the ones generated
>> during the template clone and not the final ones I set after cloning
>> the VMs. But as we have nice host specifications as yaml files for
>> every host, I was relying more on them than on the XML.
>>
>> In the end, it took me around 3 minutes of manual work to recreate
>> the vm, move the disks over and start the vm. Automating that with a
>> bit of yaml and xml parsing magic and recreating the VMS
>> automatically via script could lead to recreating a vm in under 1
>> minute (except when moving disks from storage to storage).
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Jörn

>>> destination. In the database, the disks were shown to be on the
>>> destination
>>> host and were marked as "invalid", so this procedure also has some
>>> risks.
>>>
>>> check this one, and please wikify for others if you find it helpful:
>>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.ovirt.user/4428

>>> provisioned disks. So I think, I will go for this option.
>>>
>>> just to make it clear - this is risky, and you should know what you
>>> are doing
>>> when copying/moving files over the new layout, which must be
>>> identical to
>>> previous definitions.

Well it would not hurt to have it in the wiki marking it as a 'hack'
This is something what could happen because of some bug in the engine
and you'll need to recover.
Another thing I am wondering about is, if we should not provide a
recovery tool for something like this.
It sounds pretty much like something what can be supported for backing
up VMs for example.