[Users] Migrating ovirt-engine to new server

Neil nwilson123 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 09:44:03 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

Please could someone assist me.

I'm trying to migrate my ovirt-engine(3.1 but very early release) to
latest 3.1 on new machine(both Centos 6.3 dreyou repo). After the
intial engine-setup I can log into webadmin without a problem.

I then imported my DB from the old server (psql -U postgres -d engine
-w < /root/dump.sql) and start the ovirt-engine again, but now when
try and browse to the webadmin I don't get anything at all, no web
page displays at all, I'm guessing that there are lots of additional
steps that I'm missing, so perhaps this is normal. I haven't attached
any logs etc because I'm fairly certain that I'm missing some vital
steps before I can actually log into my system using the new DB.

I've changed the hostname of the machine -- previous name was
node02.blabla.com and now it's backup.blabla.com does this matter? My
guess is the certificates won't work with the DB now, is there any way
to get around this, or should I rather just use the same hostname on
the new server?

I also haven't copied any physical files or configs across yet, which
files/folders do I need?

I'm using a FC SAN so I'm assuming I won't need to export my VM's, it
should just be a matter of detaching my main storage domain and then
re-attaching it on the new server?  I see when I try and detach from
the old server it says "can't export while there are Templates/VM's on
the system" must I hit the remove button on each VM on the old system
in order to detach and then attach to on the new system? (presume it
will only remove the VM's from the old system and not actually delete
the VM image?)

I'm using no templates, so I'm assuming these don't need to be
exported/imported?

Sorry for all the questions, any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards.

Neil Wilson.