[Users] fw: Migrating ovirt-engine to new server

Neil nwilson123 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 13:28:11 UTC 2012

Sorry to repost(kind of) but I'm really battling here and I need to
get the VM's up and running again.

I've given up on the idea of migrating the database across due to all
sorts of problems encountered and I've instead done a completely NEW
fresh ovirt-engine install and I've got one host added and running.

How do I go about detaching my storage datacentre from my old
ovirt-engine, and re-attaching it to my new ovirt-engine running on my
new server? I'm running FC with multiple LUNS all assigned in one
datacentre called "linux" and I can't detach it because it says
"Cannot detach Storage Domain while VMs/Templates reside on it." My
entire datacentre is in maintenance at the moment which consists of
only 3 VM's(4TB's in total), my host only has a 16GB SDD in it, so
exporting to a local NFS mount is not an option.

Can I safely remove the VM's(as instructed above) by going to "VM's"
and clicking remove and then will I be able to detach the datacentre
and then re-attach it to the new ovirt-engine? Bearing in mind that
I'm running a fresh install of ovirt-engine and I haven't copied the
database across? Is it a matter of re-attaching the LUNS that are
currently assigned because I can see the LUNS when I try and add a new
FC storage domain, however the LUNS currently attached to the old
ovirt-engine are greyed out and can't be selected.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards.

Neil Wilson.