[Users] Authentication for REST APIs?

Brian Vetter bjvetter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 17:56:43 UTC 2012

On Oct 3, 2012, at 12:55 AM, Itamar Heim wrote:

>> snip ...
>>
>> So based upon what I see in this log file, it would seem that the
>> connect API wants to make sure that I am an admin and not a regular user.
>>
>> Which gets me back to my original question: Do the REST API and the
>> ovirt-shell require admin privileges or is there a separate uri
>> namespace for regular users to make requests? Or perhaps more direct,
>> should https://$ovirt-server/api/vms be accessible to non-admins or is
>> there a different url a non-admin should use?
>>
>> Brian
>>

> which version of the sdk are you using?
> michael - maybe user level api made it into upstream post ovirt 3.1 feature freeze (brian, in that case, it will be in ovirt 3.2, slated for freeze in novemeber/release in december)

oVirt Engine version is 3.1.0-2.fc17
oVirt API/shell/tool version from yum is 3.1.0.6-1.fc17

Results from 'info' command in ovirt-shell:
[oVirt shell (connected)]# info

backend version: 3.1
sdk version    : 3.1.0.4
cli version    : 3.1.0.6
python version : 2.7.3.final.0

If the user level api isn't in 3.1, then I presume it would be in the nightly builds. Are there instructions for pulling the nightly builds and/or upgrading them. I saw the build instructions, but was hoping to save some time while evaluating things.

Brian