[Users] fw: Migrating ovirt-engine to new server

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Sat Oct 6 11:08:12 UTC 2012

On 10/05/2012 05:40 PM, Johan Kragsterman wrote:
> Hi there...
>
> Can't be possible that this is the procedure that we want to have to do this operation...?
>
> This is an operation that many users will want or will need to go through, and this definitely seem toooo complex.

You are right, it is more complex than what we all want to have, but at
the moment we don't have a simpler solution.

> I suppose/hope there is a strategy for developing another more smooth solution?

My particular view about this is that we should try to move as much as
possible to the database (certificates, for example, any kind of state
in general), so that when you have to move to a different server you
only need to install the packages in the new server and configure it to
use the old database.

> What I would have thought is that it would have been a solution where you can add multiple engines, and these would replicate the databases between them, and it would be easy to add another one, or remove one....

Clustering is another thing we all want. We already can support high
availability configurations using additional clustering software. I
think that in addition to that we should also support active-active
configurations similar to what you describe, but as you can imagine
implementing that is really challenging.

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain