[Users] how to convince oVirt a VM is down

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Wed Oct 10 08:35:19 UTC 2012

On 10/09/2012 11:36 PM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 10/09/2012 11:19 PM, Alan Johnson wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Alan Johnson <alan at datdec.com
>> <mailto:alan at datdec.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     You have me thinking... perhaps oVirt thinks they are running on the
>>     host they were being migrated to.  If so, maybe putting that host
>>     into maintenance will clear it up.  I'll try that as soon as I get
>>     the down host back up.
>>

>> Nope, the 2 stuck VMs have still not been released from "Unknown"
>> status.  I've rebooted the 3rd host and restarted the engine.  Still no
>> love.  Please help.
>
> well, hacking the db will work, but reproducing this and logs for us to
> fix the actually bug would also help.

We have seen this before, and we thought it was fixed.

Alan, can you describe exactly the sequence of events that leaded to
this problem? When you say that the host died while going to maintenance
what do you mean exactly? It crashed, rebooted, hung, was fenced? It
would be very helpful if you have the engine logs at the time the host
went down.

Once you have those logs in a safe place, the only way to get the VM out
of that status is to update the database manually. First make completely
sure that the VM is not running in any host, then do the following:

  # psql -U engine
  psql (9.1.6)
  Type "help" for help.

  engine=> update vm_dynamic set status = 0 where vm_guid = (select
vm_gui from vm_static where vm_name = 'myvm');
  UPDATE 1

(Assuming that the name of your VM is "myvm").

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain