[Users] Virtual Machine Provisiong

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Thu Oct 11 12:42:13 UTC 2012

On Oct 11, 2012, at 14:28 , Marco Mornati wrote:

> > hmmm
> > If it needs to be really unattended you either have to attach the right disk with install ISO and supply(point to) the desired kickstart? You'd need to have a template only per each OS install iso.
> >
> > Yes exactly. And the "iso" file could be a net address (for example directly on the centos servers). And you could have more than one kickstart per iso (that is the list proposed to the oVirt user):\
> so - can you do that already by supplying these on kernel boot line - in Edit VM dialog? I thin that should work.
>
> I tried but it does not work. For what I understood (but I didn't find lot of doc about this) the 3 parameters are used to specify kernel information but for an already installed machine. Means for example that the Kernel and Initd location should already be on the vm disk. I tried putting a remote location but my machine wouldn't start up... So I think I can't use the kernel parameters in oVirt
so then a combination of these?
PXE with kernel per each OS. Split it to some MAC groups  based on that, something like 00:00:00:00:00:xx would boot Fedora 17 kernel, 00:00:00:00:01:xx would boot Centos.
You manually manage the MAC assignemnet when you create the VM using CLI/SDK
Then customizable ks with desired packages in some network location, you point to these on kernel cmdline