[Users] Virtual Machine Provisiong

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Thu Oct 11 13:35:32 UTC 2012

On 11/10/2012, at 13:44 PM, Marco Mornati wrote:
> Hello,
>
> yep template could be a solution, but means we need to have machine that
> are quite similar.
> What I'd like to do, and presents to user, is a list of "profiles"
> (Centos6, RHEL6, Fedora17, etc.) and any profile has a "kickstart"
> associated that indicates iso source, which base packages should be
> installed, etc.
> That is exactly what we have today with a PXE installation, but the only
> things is that I cannot invoke an automatic installation within a script.
>
> To be clear, here yuo are what I'm traying in this moment:
>
> https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/RHEV-M_Setup?version=52

Hi Marco,

From reading through what you're looking for, it seems a good fit for Aeolus.

As well as the points you mention (templates for creations of vm's, with
desired packages, etc), it does a lot more too:

 + VM launching/killing and monitoring

 + Supports several virtualization and cloud platforms simultaneously,
   so you build/launch/manage your VM's on (say) oVirt, VMware, and EC2.
   OpenStack support (amongst others) is currently being added.

 + You can build custom applications out of several vm templates,
   and have them correct pass configuration information amongst
   themselves when they launch. (IP addresses, dependency info, etc)

   For example, a 2-node Wordpress application, consisting of an Apache
   webserver vm template + a MySQL vm template).  Automatically sets
   itself up at launch:

     https://github.com/aeolusproject/audrey/tree/master/examples/wordpress

With the oVirt setup you're doing for those instructions, please try and
use oVirt 3.0 for the moment.  There's a bug in an rpm we rely on for our
oVirt support (vdsm floppyinject hook) that's broken with oVirt 3.1.

Hopefully we'll have that issue fixed late next week (enabling oVirt 3.1
support).  That doesn't help you right now though. ;)

If it's helpful, the Aeolus dev's are in the #aeolus freenode IRC channel,
and are generally pretty responsive requests for help.  i.e. RHEV-M
setup, etc.

We also have an aeolus-users mailing list, which is worth asking on if
you're not in to IRC. :)

Does that help? :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift