[Users] Set mic order on vm

Mike Kolesnik mkolesni at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 06:31:38 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> In our setup I need to have eth0 set to a certain MAC address. When I
> add the three nics to a new vm, nic1 is not eth0. (ovirt starts with
> "nic1" as the first suggested name of the nic)
>
> Any ideas?

It is the guest OS that is responsible for assigning the names of the interfaces.
In Linux specifically it's udev that does it, so you might want to try writing a udev rule for that.

Perhaps try following this guide (if it's Fedora 15+):
https://alteeve.ca/w/Changing_Ethernet_Device_Names_in_EL7_and_Fedora_15%2B

Or this guide (if it's RHEL6 or older Fedora):
https://alteeve.ca/w/Changing_the_ethX_to_Ethernet_Device_Mapping_in_EL6_and_Fedora_12_to_14