[Users] How to rescue storage domain structure

Joop jvdwege at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 22 19:53:53 UTC 2013

Chris Smith wrote:
> List,
>
> I have lost the ability to manage the hosts or VM's using ovirt engine
> web interface.  The data center is offline, and I
> can't actually perform any operations with the hosts or VM's.  I don't
> think that there
> are any actions I can perform in the web interface at all.
>
> What's odd is that I can tell the host to go into maintenance mode
> using the ovirt-engine web interface and it seems to go into
> maintenance mode.  It even shows the wrench icon next to the host.  I
> can also try and activate it after it susposedly goes into maintenance
> mode, and It states that the host was activated, but the host never
> actually comes up or contends for SPM status, and the data center
> never comes online.
>
> >From the logs it seems that at least PKI is broken between the engine
> and the hosts as I see numerous certificate errors on both the
> ovirt-engine and clients.
>
> vdsm.log shows:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 582, in
> process_request_thread
>     self.finish_request(request, client_address)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vdsm/SecureXMLRPCServer.py",
> line 66, in finish_request
>     request.do_handshake()
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/ssl.py", line 305, in do_handshake
>     self._sslobj.do_handshake()
> SSLError: [Errno 1] _ssl.c:504: error:14094416:SSL
> routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert certificate unknown
>
> and engine.log shows:
>
> 2013-04-18 18:42:43,632 ERROR
> [org.ovirt.engine.core.
> engineencryptutils.EncryptionUtils]
> (QuartzScheduler_Worker-68) Failed to decryptData must start with zero
> 2013-04-18 18:42:43,642 ERROR
> [org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.vdsbroker.VdsBrokerCommand]
> (QuartzScheduler_Worker-68) XML RPC error in command
>

> Alon Bar-Lev was able to offer several good pointers in another thread
> titled "Certificates and PKI seem to be broken after yum update" and
> eventually concluded that the installation seems to be corrupted more
> than just the certificates, truststore, and keystore, and suggested
> that I start a new thread to ask about how to rescue the storage
> domain structure.
>
> The storage used for the data center is ISCSI, which is intact and
> working.  In fact 2 of the VM's are still online and running on one of
> the original FC17 hosts systems.
>
> I'm not able to reinstall any of the existing hosts from the ovirt-engine web
> interface.  I attempted to reinstall one of the hosts (not the SPM)
> which failed.
>
> I also tried to bring up a new, third host and add it to the cluster.
> I setup another Fedora 17 box up and tried to add it to the
> cluster, but it states that there are no available servers in the
> cluster to probe the new host.
>
> This is a test environment that I would like to fix, but I'm also
> [...]
If you want a backup of the currently running hosts you can use
fsarchiver. There is a statically linked version consisting of one
executable on the website of fsarchiver and you can use options to
overrule the fact that you're backing up a live system.
You can't shutdown the VM's, I think, and then do an export to an export
domain since you don't have a master storage domain thats why the above
workaround with fsarchiver. You can ofcourse use you're favourite backup
programme.

Joop

--
irc: jvandewege