[Users] 102 VDSM processes ?

Yaniv Bronheim ybronhei at redhat.com
Wed Apr 24 14:59:36 UTC 2013

Hey ,

For your question, VDSM creates external processes for each storage operation it performs. Using external process allows to make parallel operations without being blocked on IO tasks, which can cause denial of service (like reading files on unreachable mount).
To save kernel time that can be wasted by creating those external processes, for each domain we start a process pool of 10 processes.

This means that if we configure 10 storage domains on specific host, it starts 100 process + 1 process for vdsm and 1 for supervdsm.
Each operation on the domain will use one of the processes in the domain's pool.

Vdsm process is the main process that responses to API requests and manage all operations. supervdsm is another external process to vdsm that allows vdsm to run root commands.

That's explain the 102 processes that you saw.
We try to make each process allocation small as possible, without loading unnecessary packages.

I'll be glad to answer more specific questions about that implementation if requested.

Regards,
Yaniv Bronhaim.