[Users] Linux sysprep

René Koch r.koch at ovido.at
Mon Aug 19 20:26:08 UTC 2013

-----Original message-----

Thanks a lot for your answer - this definitely points me into the right way.

> Just a few ideas:
>   - create a vm payload [2] and attach it to the VM which can hold your
> config info e.g. vm name, which a custom script could pick up.  No need
> for the latest oVirt with this option.

For some strange reason I totally missed the vm payload feature (and it seems to be introduced already in oVirt 3.1 according to the release notes).
Can I attach a vm payload via webadmin portal of oVirt 3.2 (and if yes - how?) or only via REST-API?

So if I understand this right, I would do the following:
- use before_vm_start_hook which creates the payload and updates vm xml definition - add <payloads> with e.g. file name "unattended.txt" andcontent "hostname=pool-vm95"
- have script started in host which mounts the floppy, reads the content of unattended.txt and do some magic

>   - create a Cloud-Init config disk yourself and attach it as a payload,
> and let Cloud-Init do the initialization.  There are several formats;
> oVirt uses Config-Drive-v2.  Example at [3].  Depending on the config disk
> format, you may need the latest oVirt/vdsm to assign a volume label to the
> vm payload.
>   - use the latest oVirt and its Cloud-Init functionality; for fields not
> handled, attach a file and let a script handle it.

cloud-init sounds very interesting, but this requires oVirt 3.3, right?
I'm running oVirt 3.2 at the moment.

Regards,
René