[Users] CentOS upgrade from 3.2 to 3.3

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Mon Dec 2 17:44:54 UTC 2013

On 12/02/2013 04:32 PM, Karli Sjöberg wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Just wanted to express my deepest admiration for the progress of this
> project. You may or may not remember my quest for upgrading from 3.1 to
> 3.2 and just how difficult a seemingly trivial thing can turn out to be
> quite the ordeal...
>
> This time around, we followed this post by dreyou on how to go from his
> 3.2-repo to the ovirt.org stable repo 3.3:
> http://wiki.dreyou.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=ovirt_rpm_start33
>
> And the whole process _just worked_! Something that actually made me
> even more nervous, left me feeling like "OK, so this is going just too
> well, I´ve got a bad feeling about this...":) But no, nothing ever blew
> us out the sky and the entire process of upgrading the engine and six
> hosts went through in just under the hour from start to finish! Best
> part is of course that our customers VM´s never even noticed; a
> completely live upgrade. Awesome!
>
> I mean, I worked my ass off trying to go from 3.1 to 3.2, I´ve actually
> put a mental block on the actual time it took, but probably six months
> of planning and trial and error, to have this done in under an hour...
> All I can say is THANK YOU! Both to you developers of oVirt and a
> special thank you to dreyou for posting such a well-written manual.
> Thank you. Thank you. Thank you:)

glad to hear.
two comments on dreyou nice post:
1. on host side, worth running 'yum update' in general, not only vdsm
    (for kernel, libvirt and others).
2. the recommended way to upgrade a node is to first move it to
    maintenance in the engine (which should live migrate the VMs to
    other hosts). doing without this may work, but YMMV.

Thanks,
    Itamar