[Users] qemu: too many ide bus during v2v migration

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Tue Dec 3 17:03:22 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-12-03 at 15:00 +0100, Stefan Wendler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we're currently migrating over from esxi to ovirt. V2v is pretty smooth, up
> until I try to migrate a vm with more than 3 SCSI disks.
> The disks are exported from esxi as IDE and after the disks have been copied
> over, the process fails with "qemu: Too many IDE bus"
> Is there a practical way to fix this?

Unfortunately this is a legacy limitation of virt-v2v which is very hard
to remove. You can try to fix it by manually patching GuestfsHandle.pm
in virt-v2v to remove the 'iface' argument to add_drive_opts.
Specifically, find the following:

            $g->add_drive_opts($path,
                               format => $format,
                               iface => $interface,
                               name => $name);

and change it to:

            $g->add_drive_opts($path,
                               format => $format,
                               name => $name);

and find the following:

        $g->add_drive_opts($transfer,
                           format => 'raw', iface => $interface,
readonly => 1)
            if defined($transfer);

and change it to:

        $g->add_drive_opts($transfer,
                           format => 'raw', readonly => 1)
            if defined($transfer);

The effects of this change are not well tested, and will definitely
break conversion of older RHEL guests. Guests which natively support
virtio should probably be ok, though.

Matt