[Users] How to backup thin provisioned qcow2 disks?

Allon Mureinik amureini at redhat.com
Wed Dec 4 14:57:50 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

For one snapshot? Are you sure?

> Also they
> are combined MUCH bigger than the preallocated:
> 8GB raw vs thin: 31 GB - 1 snapshot.
What version are you using?
And on what storage?

> So I have two questions:
> - how would you backup these thin disks?
You could just copy all three of your volumes.
A more robust way, though, would probably be to export the disk to an export domain.

> - is it possible to convert thin to preallocated and
> discard the snapshots
Unfortunately, not while the VM is still running. If you shut it down, you can merge the snapshot back.
Go to VMs -> Snapshots -> select the snapshot you want to remove, and click delete.