[Users] avoid debug messages or explain better how to change log level

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 09:29:31 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 12:19 AM, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 1:41 AM, Douglas Schilling Landgraf  wrote:
>

>> IMO, looks reasonable. Could you please be more specific and share which
>> messages are flooding the log files? Would be nice if you open a bugzilla
>> request [1] based on component (vdsm/ovirt-engine) to get it tracked.
>>
>> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=oVirt
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Douglas
>
> Reading better, for engine now it is ok and it seems that level is
> INFO, no DEBUG messages. Good.
> But for vdsm/superdsm, my AIO server that for example today has been
> powered on without making anything else than keep an idle windows xp
> and an idle fedora 19 vm
> has these numbers

see also here as already leveraged in February for ovirt node and
persist problems
http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2013-February/012617.html

It is only a matter of changing default values for  /etc/vdsm/logger.conf

In 3.3.1 and still in vdsm as in in 3.3.2 beta we have now

[g.cecchi at tekkaman ~]$ grep -B1 DEBUG /etc/vdsm/logger.conf
[logger_root]
level=DEBUG
--
[logger_vds]
level=DEBUG

Changing these lines in my environment to INFO kept off the DEBUG
messages with about one INFO message per second.
Or we could provide a page on the wiki and/or release notes where we
explain how to change logging levels and files involved if you think
that DEBUG for vdsmd is still the way to have.

Gianluca