[Users] Physical CDROM access

Bob Doolittle bob at doolittle.us.com
Mon Dec 16 15:23:36 UTC 2013

On 12/16/13 08:44, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 09:58:15AM +0200, Itamar Heim wrote:
>> On 12/13/2013 09:15 PM, Bob Doolittle wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> With VMware ESX, when you edit the CD device you have of course the
>>> option of attaching an ISO, but IIRC you also have the option of
>>> selecting the physical CDROM device for the Host.
>>>
>>> There seems no way to do this with oVirt. It would be a really nice
>>> addition to the "Change CD" menu to have something like "/dev/cdrom". Is
>>> there a technical issue preventing this? Of course that would prevent VM
>>> migration such as HA while the CDROM device is attached, but that didn't
>>> stop VMware and it would be a valuable addition.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>      Bob

>> 1. at some point i hope spice will allow this to connect remote
>>     cd-rom's and install from them.
>> 2. please open an RFE (bugzilla) to track this.
>> 3. you can use a custom hook for this - an adaption on hostusb, or
>>     maybe even vmdisk would work. if you need help with the custom hook,
>>     just ping back on the list.
> I think Bob asked to access the /dev/cdrom device of the host machine,
> not the one of the spice client.

That's right. I never even thought of the spice client case. Although
that also sounds useful it would be much more complex. Luckily it's not
what I need. I'll file that RFE in any case since it does sound useful,
in addition to this one.

> Bob, if that's the case, I think you can do it by circomventing Engine
> and calling `vdsClient -s <host> changeCD /dev/cdrom`; please try it
> out.

It appears this command is slightly incorrect, I believe it should be:

vdsClient -s <host> changeCD <VM-UUID> /dev/cdrom

when I try this, however, I get an error: "Failed to change disk image"

I've attached the vdsm.log file. There is also one suspicious entry in
syslog, although I think it was from before I tried this particular command:

Dec 16 10:03:57 xion2 vdsm vm.Vm WARNING
vmId=`99f89b62-d8e2-4ffd-b2e1-e471beff63b6`::_readPauseCode unsupported
by libvirt vm

I had previously tried a 'list table' and a 'help' command to see how
vdsClient worked. It is more likely a result of one of those given the
timestamp.

Thanks,
     Bob