[Users] Problem introducing VDSM hosts

Garry Tiedemann garrytiedemann at networkvideo.com.au
Tue Dec 17 03:58:11 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

We are setting up ovirt on Proliant BL460c blades (mix of G1 & G6), and
found an interesting problem.
Can anyone here can offer guidance on how to approach this please?
Also, I would be interested to know others' experiences of using ovirt
on BladeSystem gear.

The problem: When trying to introduce a new VDSM host, the install
fails, immediately.
It's reproducible; we tried more than a dozen times, with different
combinations of NICs, to eliminate hardware faults.

These messages appear on the VDSM host:

Dec 13 10:55:24 bl05 sshd[2627]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened
for user root by (uid=0)
Dec 13 10:55:24 bl05 sshd[2627]: Corrupted MAC on input.
Dec 13 10:55:24 bl05 sshd[2627]: Disconnecting: Packet corrupt
Dec 13 10:55:24 bl05 sshd[2627]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session closed
for user root

It seems to be a checksum problem.
Google has plenty of similar reports (none ovirt-related), and very
little in the way of troubleshooting tips.
We have eliminated physical hardware; memory has tested OK, and
alternative network ports have been tried, with the same result.
I expected to be able to reproduce the issue outside ovirt, by scping
large files back and forth, however, this did not cause errors.

I believe it's a software matter, possibly TOE, but I don't know how to
take it further.
We are using FC19 for both the ovirt-engine and vdsm hosts.

Any guidance on how to solve this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Garry