[Users] Solaris 11.1 ISO panic on boot

René Koch (ovido) r.koch at ovido.at
Wed Dec 18 12:25:30 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-12-17 at 23:20 -0600, Blaster wrote:
> On 12/17/2013 9:18 AM, René Koch (ovido) wrote:
> >
> > I used this image for installing Solaris 11: sol-11_1-text-x86.iso,
> > which is the Solaris 11.1 text based installer...
> >
> > Works fine for me on my oVirt 3.3 setup - installed Solaris 11.1 right
> > now - (did also work fine in oVirt 3.2 and on a RHEL 6 server with plain
> > KVM)...
>
> Well, I'm running 3.3.1 but I had the same problem with 3.3.  Wonder if
> it's my Athlon X4 640 CPU?
> Any known issues with AMD CPUs?

Solaris 11.1 is working fine on my Intel Nehalem CPUs. Didn't test newer
families as I don't have a host with newer CPUs available right now for
oVirt tests.

On my workstation with old AMD X4 605e CPU I also get a bunch of panic
messages when trying to boot from the Solaris ISO. Tried it with
virt-manager with OS family Solaris under Fedora 19.

It seems that Solaris has issues with KVM and AMD CPUs.
Sadly I don't have enough time to investigate this further :(

Regards,
René