[Users] Agents for Windows

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Thu Dec 19 21:40:22 UTC 2013

On 12/19/2013 02:35 PM, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 03:22:22 PM Vinzenz Feenstra wrote:
>> This are the virtio-drivers, the qemu guest agent makes VSS calls. We
>> currently don't distribute any windows binaries. And all of that is open
>> source. The qemu guest agent is in the qga folder of the qemu source tree.
>
> Thanks, that was what I was looking for.
>
>> The vdagent is the spice agent
>
> I must admit to being confused as to the relationship between redhat, kvm and
> spice. There are separate agents for spice (vdagent) and qemu (qemu-ga)?

red hat is a company... it has developer working on multiple open source
projects including qemu, kvm, spice, libvirt, ovirt and many others...

> Whats the host (qemu) program for sending commands to qemu-ga?

qemu supports sending commands to qemu-ga. libvirt abstracts the qemu
api for these commands. vdsm uses the libvirt api when qemu-ga
operations are relevant. ovirt-engine asks vdsm for the operation (say,
thaw/freeze during live snaphost would be done by libvirt on qemu, send
to qemu-ga).

> If I wanted, could I build my own qemu-ga and make it available? or would it
> be undesirable from your perspective  to have foreign builds of it floating
> about. Would it be better for me to write my own agent?

the main problems with delivering windows binaries are build machines,
licensing of tools, etc.
so there is no problem with you providing those builds if they don't
happen to be available already.

> What I want to achieve is integrate VSS support into another kvm manager
> (proxmox). I prefer to stick to the platform tools for this sort of thing
> rather than roll my own.

that's the entire concept of open source...