[Users] GlusterFS Distributed Replicate

Andrew Lau andrew at andrewklau.com
Sat Dec 21 13:06:06 UTC 2013

On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 11:56 PM, Grégoire Leroy <
gregoire.leroy at retenodus.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > >  If you disable quorum then you won't have the issue of "read only"
> when

> on
>
> > > Ok, I get the problem caused by disabling the quorum. So, what if while
> > > I've two hosts the lack of HA is not so dramatic but will be necessary
> > > when
> >
> > > I'll have more hosts ? (3 or 4). Here is the scenario I would like to
> have
> :
> > Quorum generally requires 3 hosts, I believe the default configuration
> when
> > you press "Optimize for virt store" will require a minimum of 2 bricks
> > connected before writing is allowed.
>
> Ok, if I understand, the quorum thing is very specific to gluster (bricks)
> and
> not to ovirt (hosts). So, maybe what I need is just another gluster server
> with very few space on a dummy VM (not hosted by a ovirt host but outside
> of
> my cluster) to add as a brick. It wouldn't be use at all, just to check
> connectivity
>

> Then, if a host lose connectivity, it can't join neither the real gluster
> server nor the "dummy" one and so, doesn't run VM. The other one, which is
> able to join the dummy one becomes the SPM (the dummy wouldn't have vdsm
> server, so it couldn't become) and runs VM.
>
> Maybe by this way could I have HA with two hosts, right ? Is there a
> reason it
> shouldn't work ?

I guess this would work as quroum is based on how many peers are in the
cluster. Actually quite a good idea and I'd love to hear from you on how it
goes. I'd be interested to see how gluster will work with this though, I
assume it has to be apart of the volume. If you're doing
distribute-replicate I think this "dummy" VM will need to hold hold the
full replicated data?

 cluster.server-quorum-ratio - this is % > 50. If the volume is not
set with any ratio the equation for quorum is:
 active_peer_count > 50% of all peers in cluster. But when the percentage (P)
 is specified the equation for quorum is active_peer_count >= P % of
all the befriended peers in cluster.

> > 1) I have two hosts : HOSTA and HOSTB. They have glusterfs bricks
> > > configured as Distribute Replicated and data is replicated.
> > > => For now, I'm totally ok with the fact that if a node fails, then VM
> on
> > > this hosts are stopped and unreachable. However, I would like that if a
> > > node fails, the DC keeps running so that VM on the other hosts are not
> > > stopped and a human intervention make possible to start the VM on the
> > > other
> > > host. Would it be possible without disabling the quorum ?
> >
> > For the 2 host scenario, disable quorum will allow you to do this.
>
> Unfortunately, not for all cases. If the network interface used by
> glusterfs
> to reach each other falls, I get the following behaviour :
>
> 1) HOSTB, on which the VM run, detect that HOSTA's brick is unreachable.
> So it
> keeps running. Fine.
> 2) HOSTA detects that HOSTB's brick is unreachable. So it starts to run
> the VM
> => Split brain. If the network interfaces not used for management of the
> cluster but for VM are OK, I'm going to have a split network.
> 3) Conclusion, the fall of HOSTA has impact on the VM of HOSTB
>
> Does this scenario seem correct to you, or have I miss something ? Maybe
> power
> management could avoid this issue.

Yes you'll need the power management which they call "fencing", so it will
ensure that the host which has dropped from the cluster is sent for a
reboot thus making any VMs running on it be shut off immediately and ready
to be brought up on another ovirt host.